British Float Tube Association
March 02, 2021, 01:48:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on buying fins - Richard Jamieson.  (Read 1639 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: January 31, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »

This is a copy of a posting made by Richard Jamieson on the Facebook BFTA section. It is included here because the advice is good and will be useful for those dissatisfied with their present fins and wishing to change etc.

I was having a long chat with Kevin Primmer yesterday and amongst other things we got talking about fins, and specifically the high cost of some of the imported 'purpose built' types available. Being interested in what I was on about, he asked me if I'd post some details of what I use, so here it is. One thing we were agreed on was that in general, the stubby lace-on types provided with a lot of tubes off the shelf aren't really fit for purpose and in my opinion, the reason for a lot of new float-tubers giving it up as a bad job in fairly short order.

Now, around a decade ago (maybe longer but my memory isn't what it was) I went to a diving outfitters shop near Hessle to see what I could do about correcting the problem of these daft fins. After the shop staff had all had a good laugh at my description (and pictures) of float-tubing they came up with a logical solution. Based on the posture of a float tuber when finning, they correctly identified that the main propulsion comes from the upward stroke of the leg and therefore, in order to displace the maximum amount of water, a downturned fin would be in order. Taking their advice I purchased a set of IST Taleria split fins along with a pair of lightweight zip-on divers boots to protect my stocking foot waders.

The difference these fins made was unbelievable. One stroke replaced several and I found myself getting out of the tube after a day afloat with little or no feeling of tiredness. Low speed manoevering is a doddle and when necessary, a high speed run to the bank to avoid lightning or for a call of nature is easy. I haven't counted properly, but a good number of my float-tube fishing colleagues have now switched to these fins (or ones of a very similar design) having tried out mine. I've had the good fortune to try out all sorts of other designs since to compare and can honestly say that nothing has given me the same range of low-high speed ability or manoeverability. Highly recommended. Huh?

One other thing.......on a safety note, I can get in and out of the tube without the fins on and put them on once seated, thereby greatly reducing the risk of a slip and damage or soaking (I've seen this several times) or having to walk backwards which is just as dangerous when you think about it.

The only downsides initially were the rubber ankle straps which started to split after around 4 years. I replaced these with the metal spring type which now seem to come as standard anyway. If you want to add retainers, it's a fairly straightforward job although I've never bothered as the fit is so strong.

The cost varies from outlet to outlet (although you can't buy them from my company, SKB, so there's no underhand advertising going on here! Huh?) from £60.00 up to around £80.00 but they often come up on eBay in the low £30s. For a fitting guide, I have a size 9 foot to which I add a pair of socks, Seal Skinz socks, stocking foot waders and Beaver diving boots, leaving me with a requirement for the XL fin. I doubt that most reading this would be much different.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

Elinor is confirmed. I'll be talking to Toft & Thornton over the weekend so watch this space.

Andre.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: