British Float Tube Association
July 21, 2019, 05:44:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Next up Eyebrook August 10th & Pairs Competition at Toft. Both to be confirmed.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf Caddy Batteries.  (Read 550 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

I guess that since the demise of Steve Parton there are not too many serious golfers left in the BFTA membership, but I have a question or two for those who might know.

I have just become more aware that Lithium batteries come in a variety of types. A Lithium Ion battery on water would not be good news, as a short could heat it up to either causing a fire or even an explosion apparently. However, there is a different formulation in common use nowadays, which is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFeo4) - this is apparently a much more stable mixture and less prone to problems. This type of battery is now widely used to drive golf trolleys and sits in a tray on the base of the trolley; which on most I have seen is not covered in any way. This means that when it rains the battery will get very wet!

Now I am interested in just how wet one of these would need to be before a problem might arise. I guess that if it were fully submerged in water with some conductive element dissolved in it, then the terminals would 'short out' to some degree and drain the battery, but would it trigger any worse event is what I would like to know? By unintentional experience, I can state with certainty that AGM Gel cells carry on working just fine - would one of these LiFeo4 batteries also work just fine is one trhing I would like to know.

The reason for my curiosity: I had occasion today to pick up a 36 hole golf battery which weighs just 2.8 kgs for a stated 22 amp hours - which I'm told could be more like 27AH in direct comparison to a lead acid battery. Interesting! Particularly when a 21AH gel cell weighs about 7kgs. They are also much smaller per amp hour. and they also come in a reputedly completely sealed case. The downside is that the Lithium battery is five or six times more expensive; therefore one would want to be sure it would do the job before investing in one.

Does anybody know much about this chemistry and whether they are relatively safe in water?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: