British Float Tube Association
April 03, 2020, 05:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ringstead - May 5th 2018  (Read 3487 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »

As there was only three members in attendance this one will be quite brief.

A good day was anticipated and it didn't fail to live up to expectations. Weather superb, water in great condition and monumental buzzer hatch all day. Fish were rising freely as we tackled up. Wardy was unaware that that this was going to be more of a social meet than a competition as he has been rather busy building a 'love shack' or something like that. So being a more relaxing day Gary and I set off at 9.00am and took an hours lunch at 12.30. Carl launched nearer to 10.00am but fished through until 4.00pm.

Although the fish were rising freely the fishing did start quite slow. We had been advised to fish the Buzzers under a bung or very slowly across the wind with a weighted point fly. I opted for the latter and took a fish on my first cast, it took a Blue Flash Damsel. Gary started on a team of Buzzers but had no response at all. After my first fish I had a few little pulls and a follow but nothing significant. The fish were head and tailing everywhere then i saw them actually breaking surface, mouths open, mopping up the adult flies on the surface. Gary tried dries I switched to a Sedgehog and a Soldier Muddler twitching them across the surface to try and induce a take but no success. Wardy joined us and tried a foam bodied Daddy again though nothing doing. Carl then switched to a washing line set up and he did start to get fish to his Diawl Bach/Buzzer set up.

Gary and I paddled up to the deep corner and in amongst the rising fish I took two in three casts, one on Steve F's Black Diawl Bach and one on a Black Buzzer, Gary also managed to pick up a fish in this area on the Buzzer. With much more confidence now we both set-up Buzzer teams and as the morning progressed so the takes increased and the fish started to come. By lunch time I'd landed six and Gary three. The fish were absolutely stunning, solid bars of silver and they fought like tigers in the crystal clear water. After lunch we all ended up on the washing line, fish were greedily taking the Buzzers however all of us took at least one fish on the point fly, the traditionalists favourite - the Booby !

At the end of the day we gave our bags to Pete the bailiff to do the weigh in for us whilst we enjoyed a cold one and dried our kit out in the beautiful afternoon sunshine. A tie for first place between Gary and myself so despite the pre match banter a fair and reasonable result. I'm sure though if Carl could have bagged his fifth it would have been a tie for second place, the average size of the fish was 2lb plus  the afternoon a returned a rainbow at around 5lb.

So to the asides, Tony would have loved it today, Gary says he saw two Osprays I cannot confirm as I wouldn't know an Ospray from an ospital ! We did confirm swans, Canadian geese, coots and grebes. On the piscatorial front we saw basking carp and some very nice tench.

It was unfortunate that Ric had taken the sat nav to Cuba as I think his twin would have really enjoyed the sport today and it was probably a missed opportunity for Dave C as we could have had him surgically removed from his zonker box for the day !

Our thanks go to Pete for his hospitality and for bringing one of the old established trout fisheries back to it's former glory. Gary and I will definitely be returning for a leisure day on Ringstead the sport was brilliant.

Andre.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

The size of fish looks to be impressive. What was the weed situation like? I spent the day floating around on Drift with around 10 other BFTA members from the land of true pasties, it was a very pleasant day fished under Cornish rules (don’t ask), and was won magnificently by Ruan who managed to herd the fish into a corner in badger bay and then catch 10 of them as well as lose some too.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 05:29:57 PM »

Good report Mr Chairman I decided to fish local at Press Manor as the report said all to need was dries. Wrong had 2 to buzzers and nothing to dries it was pants glad your day was better
GaryC
Forum Member

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 08:04:40 PM »

Hi Tony, Pete has done an epic job with clearing the weed and it was not a problem on any part of the lake.
The water was crystal clear and these were very hard fighting Trout.
Fantastic day, with Ringstead back to its best.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: