British Float Tube Association
April 19, 2018, 04:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The next competition is at Toft Newton on April 14th then to  Eyebrook on April 21st

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Toft Newton Report - April 14th 2018  (Read 63 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: April 16, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »

Venue: Toft Newton Reservoir - a 40 acre concrete bowl situated very close to Market Rasen.

Weather: A very pleasant day with a light SW breeze. 13 - 16 degrees nice cloud cover perfect trout fishing day. Easily the best day of the season so far.

The Anglers: All good men and true, the Chesterfield twins, regulars on this water so obviously the favourites on this Grand National Day. The Preston Pair, oblivious to the conditions or how the venue was fishing so long as it was served with two bacon, two sausage and two eggs ! The Leicester lads offering a little class and sophistication to the proceedings, a Manchester duo, one quietly spoken, intelligent and well mannered and Martin. Dave M turned up with his carer negating the need for paramedics to be on hand all day, nice to see Paul on a rare outing with us and finally ******g Darren who once again had a story to tell for being late, this time it appears he had the onerous duty of traffic control on the A1 whilst a bunch of squadies mopped up bodies from a Ford Focus who's owner thought he was driving a Lamborgini !

The Fishing : Generally quite brilliant. Fish absolutely everywhere and feeding in the beautiful clear water, I could see the bottom some twenty yards from the shoreline, such a difference from the 'brown Windsor soup' that is Thornton at the moment.

With feeding fish in abundance you would have thought that the fishing would have been easy, not so as it happens. Everyone was covering fish with a variety of flies and lines and yet no one was really making a serious impression. Steve F and I opted for a midge tip with FAB, Diawl Bach and Buzzer - nothing ! Others had opted for floating line and dries - nothing ! Gary took one of the first fish of the session - a Cats Whisker on a slow sinker !

Talking to one of the locals on the bank he reported a good pod of fish moving in the breezier corner (left of the tower platform). Gary, myself, Martin and Dave trundled our way up there with bank man joining us. No denying the head of fish were there but could you get a response ? After chucking every conceivable small fly on a floater and a midge tip I reverted to type and put on a clear intermediate with Stevies Black & Green Thing, a Cats Whisker and a blob. The reaction was immediate, pull, fish on, net, bag. Next cast, pull, fish on, net, bag. Next cast the same, three fish in ten minutes. Martin put it down to consummate skill and angling expertise, obviously modesty prevents me from commenting but he's probably right.

We hung around the area for the morning session however I seemed to be the only one getting pulls and fish, then Darren arrived on the scene, he must of also hit the critical depth as his lightly weighted leader attached to an Olive Tadpole started to do the business and subsequently bagged him the best catch of the day. I'd bagged up by mid-day so I decided to move off and leave the others to it whilst I trundled back for a well earned cup of tea and a light lunch. On the way back I managed to snag another three fish on the blob, all three hit the fly as it landed on the cast.

After lunch the wind dropped completely and those still out there were facing a mirror flat calm. Steve F fished tiny buzzers on a floater and scored well taking fourteen fish. Once Gary had the method he bagged six nice fish on the same tactic reporting some of the takes to be quite vicious. Brian had a nice bag of fish including a lovely 3lb 4oz rainbow. Dave finished with a Good bag taken on his nice new freebie rod donated by that sound BFTA man Ivan. Paul plugged away for his six fish limit and George took four very nice fish. Dave M had five fish on but he told me that he shakes so much he's sure the damn things throw the hooks when he's playing them, probably ought to apply for a job as a cocktail waiter Dave !

Phil managed to snag a couple of stockies, to be fair the lad had a richt shoulder after lifting the gearbox out of a corvette, such a fine vehicle one of the USA's finest examples of engineering, you see loads of them in the scrap yards. Martin used the day as rehab following his major knee surgery that was his excuse anyway because despite being given the killing fly and the full low down he still couldn't get a pull - maybe the teacher is not as good as he thinks !

Now to the favourite who we have yet to mention - obviously Ric is a very talented angler, he goes to great lengths to remind us all of this fact in the car park prior to every event. He is a regular visitor to this water and on previous visits has scored well so the fact he failed miserably today I can only put down to big match nerves - relax Ric, winning is not important it's the taking part that counts ! It must have been the disappointment of the day I don't really know but Ric decided that to distract us from his poultry bag of four stockies he would throw himself down the bank, rods, tube, net, flask, cup everything all over the place as he went base over apex flat on his face in the mud - no harm done though as thankfully he landed on his head.

All in all a great days fishing, good company, good crack and a very welcoming fishery, thank you to Sally and the locals who made this such a good day for us.

Asides: Gary and I saw a hawk thing Tony, sorry don't know anything about the flowers and other stuff you see on the side of the road you probably need to give us a lesson sometime.

Andre.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »

Wish I was there - sounds like my ideal conditions, flat calm etc!

You write a lovely report Andre - well done that man! You will get plenty of practice over the next few months so keep at it lad.

Did that nice quiet Bury St. Edmunds chappie have anything further to report on Ravensthorpe sensible price fixing? If not, are we going there with gritted teeth and empty wallets or having another day at Thornton, Ringstead or Elinor?
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »

Good report Mr Chairman nice to see one half of the Leicester mafia knows how to fish with something other than boobies and blobs. Rik was just a bit late for entering the diving competition with Tom Daley. Good to see Kylie back out on the water and well done to Daz on his winning bag in view of his late start. Enjoy your holiday and I will see you at Ladybower. Great day told you it was fishing well.
Terry
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »

Tony, in reply to your question above, seeing as how I am going to miss Ringstead on the 5th May, I would vote to go there instead of Ravo. We shouldn't encourage £10.00 launch fee's.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »

I agree Terry. There is just one ;ittle problem which we would have to check out at that time of year - Ringstead can be very weeded up as the season goes on so we would need to send Andre or somebody with longer legs to see whether it could be attacked from a float tube.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: