British Float Tube Association
October 21, 2018, 10:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweethope July 21st  (Read 559 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: May 03, 2018, 11:13:56 AM »

Andre
Dave Carrie
Brian Heald
Ric Dunnett
Steve Frakes
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:04:25 AM by kevin1 » Logged
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »

Those interested stopping over night please pm me. Also tubing available day/evening before event at Langley Dam/Fontburn or Sweethope by arrangement if you require guide/career/interpreter.
Cold spring meant there wasn't much fishing before Easter but the warm weather has brought prodigious buzzer hatches and today the first cuckoo.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »

Hi Tony, I'll be driving up on Friday afternoon and stopping with my god-daughter in Seaton Deleval so no extra fishing for me. Are we in for banjo's on arrival as normal, I'm certainly happy to chip in toward the cost if they are on offer.

Scaling Dam ? doesn't seem to be much activity on this one - I've booked a B&B in Whitby again travelling up on Friday afternoon with the intention of fishing it, I think the Preston Pair and the Chemical Twins are also interested.

Andre.
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »

The Preston pair will NOT be at Scaling dam but will be at Sweethope same goes for us on the butty suggestion.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »

Chemical twins will not be at Scaling but will be at Sweethope
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »

Looks like you could get another first place at Scaling Dam Andre! Could be lonely fishing in the gale though!?
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »

Always happy with a first place Tony. The trophy looks destined to go to the Southerners this year as they are getting good average attendances.

Let's see if we gat any more takers, I've booked my B+B and two restaurants so Susan and I will be having the weekend in Whitby anyway and the fishing, the weigh in and the report will be an absolute cinch for a one angler competition !

Andre.
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »

Dog days continue.................
Fish continue to be caught, rain continues to be forecast!
Don't forget your sinking lines and budgie smugglers if you wish to follow Clayts lead.
Catering arranged, if we get rain and things cool down might even get a stocking otherwise its deep and dirty. Grin
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »

Wot no snow ??!!! See you Saturday
dave
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »

hi '  hope to see you on sat.

Dave M.
dave
Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »

Oop's forgot about the banjo's, please put me down for one if available

Dave M
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »

1st     Ric Dunnett     4 fish caught     3 fish weighed     6lb 12oz
2nd    Tony Barclay   6                      3                        5lb 8oz
3rd     Peter Taylor    6                      3                        5lb 5oz
4th     Andre Russell  7                      3                        5lb
5th     Dave Carrie    2                       2                        3lb 9oz

Brian Heald, Steve Frakes, Dave Minogue - Blank.

8 anglers caught 25 fish. Better than expected given the recent weather conditions and indeed the fishery reports, everyone had pulls and fish on, some just had a little more luck and others have golden testicles !

Andre.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »

The Venue:
Sweethope Loughs, 2 lakes of about 1 mile in length that lie off the A68 between the villages of Knowesgate, Kirkwhelpington and Redesdale.

The Weather:
Absolutely perfect for fly-fishing a gentle breeze (N - NNW), overcast skies with a very mild temperature and being so far 'up north' we were treated, the day before, to that very rare commodity of rain, something not seen in Leicestershire for nearly two months now !

The Anglers:
A couple of very talented locals, one of which had been extensively practicing in the week before, the Chemical Twins, the Preston Pair, a very spritely Dave M who now the hospital have sorted his meds and reduced him from 150 pills a day down to 4 was looking as good as I've seen him for 12 months or so, albeit his mental capacity seems now to be on the wain (more to follow) and old golden balls made up the eight good men and true.

The Fishing:
Obviously with the weather we've been enjoying since the middle of May the prospects were not exactly promising. Tony B reported prior to the meet that the main lake had plenty of fish in but water temperatures were limiting both the catch and the tactics. Chris the fishery manager advised a 3 fish ticket, fast sink lines, boobies and blobs over the deep water was the advice and all of us tackled up accordingly. With the prospect of a difficult day looming permission was requested to launch slightly earlier than normal to get the best out of the cooler morning, permission granted our two local boys launched set up with midge tip lines and crunchers ! and guess what ? within 10 minutes Peter was into a fish, Tony scooted off to the top end of the lake and not long afterwards was also playing a fish, canny these Geordie types. The rest set off with their various sinking line set-ups leaving myself and Dave M to re-think and launch at a more leisurely pace. From a personal point of view I opted for the booby set up and paddled half way up the lake following the route of the old river bed - nothing. Stopping for a chat with Tony now on two fish with Peter on the same, it was confirmed they were getting pulls and fish on the midge tip fished very slowly across the wind. Being a clever sod I thought I could score better with a slow intermediate set up with a small damsel, a cormorant and a cruncher, this had always scored for me on this venue, an hour and a half later and still not a pull. Other anglers were reporting pulls and fish on, Brian had a good fish on whilst reeling in to change tactics, unfortunately he lost this fish. Steve F was fairing about the same a couple of fish on and some good pulls but nothing in the bag, both were fishing sinkers, intermediate or DI3. So do you stick or twist, people are getting pulls on intermediates the locals were getting less pulls but more hook ups - no brainer, set up with a midge tip. At 12.15 I got my first pull and fish to the net, a small black boobie on the point did the business, within half an hour I'd bagged up two fish on the boobie one on a cruncher. Between 12.45 and 3.00pm I managed to land another four fish and had numerous pulls and follows. All the fish came at the top end of the lake in the shallows. Dave C followed me in and managed a couple of nice fish, Tony bagged up in the same area and returned another three fish.

Now to the rest, Ric and Dave M stayed toward the bottom end of the lake closer to the deeper water. Ric finished with three really good fish and released one other, his three specimens enough to take the honours on the day. Dave M - now where do we start - back with the pills I think. For the first time ever I actually saw Dave run from his car toward the lodge, apparently it's fair old drive from the Rotherham area to Newcastle and there are no toilets on the A68. On his return I found out about his tablet regime and how much his health had improved, we are all very grateful for this as drawing straws to see who's going to give him the kiss of life is not that politically correct is it. Now Dave always has an eventful day one way or the other and today was no exception. Tackled up and ready for launch he entered the water and sat down, easy, but one small thing - he'd forgotten to put on his flippers ! so back to the car, re-launch up to his knees sit down and now push off propulsion all good now, suddenly bang ! and something hits him in the back ! turning around to see what he's run into - nothing ? after a bit of further investigation he realises he's forgotten to put his life jacket on - now where could that be - in the back of his tube, its an automatic and the bang and the stab in the back was the inflatable pushing him off his seat. So back to the car again, spare lifejacket now donned off we go again. With so much launching and re-launching a) he's now only a got a couple of hours to fish and b) he's about knackered. So when he then hooks into possibly the biggest fish he's ever seen in his life I suppose I don't need to tell you what happened - yes after about twenty five minutes the fish towed him in to the weed beds and got off at this point he felt enough was enough. To his credit though he came off the water with me with a big smile on his face and doesn't that just about sum up these BFTA meets, it's not all about the fishing, it's about the crack - keep attending Dave otherwise Tony P and myself will have nothing to write about.

So at the end of a better than expected day we came in, four of us had bagged up and returned fish as well, Dave C continued to top the Preston charts with his two nice fish and the rest whilst not bagging anything had all had pulls and fish on so all in all not a bad day at all. Our thanks go to Chris for his hospitality and to Tony B for organising the day and supplying the Banjo's for breakfast.

Andre.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »

Good report Mr Chairman you never know if you fished a few more comps you would make a good report writer. Tough day for me 3 fish hooked 2 almost in the net and all lost. Never mind was good day out on the water thanks to Tony for organising the fishing and banjos. Well done to my fishing buddy Rik
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:21:32 PM by buzzerman » Logged
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »

Excellent summary of events though disappointed the author missed the opportunity of a tabloid headline for the report!

I take no credit for the use of a midge tip or crunchers. I started with the Di3 until I saw Peter C catch on crunchers.
Sighting of the otter may have elicited a mention if Tony P had been scribe?

Thanks to all who travelled in particular to our Scots member for demonstrating the unique properties of the banjo.

Having blanked on my last 3 visits to the lough I was not expecting the number of fish caught.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: