British Float Tube Association
August 20, 2019, 01:21:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Next up Eyebrook August 10th & Pairs Competition at Toft. Both to be confirmed.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wimbleball Report  (Read 331 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »

Wimbleball Lake situated within the Exmoor National Park is a substantial body of water built in the 1970's as a supply source for the Somerset area. After a one year break from fishing this lovely water we returned to find the venue back to its absolute best. Reports from the fishery and anglers visits in previous day's suggesting excellent catches from all areas of the lake.

Eight members turned up for this one, five hardy northerners, the Leicester Lobwormers, the Manchester Dream Team and the captain of the star ship enterprise who'd beamed down from Rotherham having now cleared up his problem with the Klingons (apparently you can get a very effective cream these days). Three locals joined us for the day, Kevin, Dave W and Guy whom I certainly haven't seen for probably four seasons.

The weather turned quite pleasant for us on the day with a light NE breeze and intermittent sunny spells.

The competition was fished on a two fish catch & release basis with the first two fish to be killed.

An executive decision was made in conjunction with the fishery staff to keep all the tubers together in one area and Ruggs Bay was selected as the launch point. Dave was first in to the water and within 10 minutes of launching he was in to a very nice fish. I launched about 15 mins after Dave and by the time I finned past him he'd had his first two fish so a very good start to the day. Gary, Kev and I all paddled across the bay to a point into another bay, this area had fished well on Friday with a bank angler catching off the point on a floating line. Initially for the tubes it was a very slow start in this area however once the depth was sussed the pulls started to come and working the bank in towards the bird hide fish eventually started coming to the net.

The quality of the fish was absolutely stunning and they put up a tremendous fight. The average weight was in the two to three pound range so limit bags were very close on weight. Everyone reported returning bigger fish than those that they subsequently weighed in with Andre, Gary, Kev and Dave all witnessed returning fish of 5lb plus. Damsels and Diawl Bachs were the most consistent fly patterns, a sink tip seemed to be the best line. Martin of course took on Snakes and Gary put his success down to a Tony Barclay supplied 'bloodworm' pattern in a tobacco colour, need to tie some of these as they were particularly effective on rising fish later in the afternoon.

All in all this was a fabulous days fishing, Wimbleball is back to its very best. Our thanks go to the fishery management for allowing us out on this water and from the five of us that stayed at Holworthy Farm a big thank you to Gillian for the accommodation and outstanding home cooked food.

Andre.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »

Good report Mr Chairman sounds like a good day and the fishery back to it's former glory.
martin
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »

Very enjoyable weekend, good fishing ,excellent food and company. Picked up the hire car Friday morning  expecting a ford Kuga and what a surprise it was a Jaguar E-pace !
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:40:22 AM by martin » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »

Good report Mr. R.

I'm glad to see things are back to full operation at Wimbleball, and am very jealous that I could not have been there to join the fun.

OK then Martin - have you blown the Audi up, or have you entered a protest about EU German car imports?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: