British Float Tube Association
February 27, 2021, 10:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFTA Honours  (Read 8204 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: September 29, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »

Discussion at the last few meetings has highlighted that as an association we have not been very good at retaining our records, hence Tonys' one man search around europe for missing trophies. The association was formed in 1993 and I was the first secretary so must take some of the blame for the lack of records, perhaps we didn't think at the time that 15 or so years later we'd all still be paddling round trying to catch a couple of trout.

Over the last few weeks I have been searching through old diaries etc and I have got the a lot of information back in place however I am still missing some of the early years, can any of the older (sorry founder) members help me on this one.

For the championship winners I have the following:
1993 - Andre Russell, 1994 - Dan Roberts, 1995 - N/K, 1996 - N/K, 1997 - N/K, 1998 - Ifor Jones, 1999 - Mark Taylor, 2000 - Russ Whitmore & Steve Parton, 2001 - Mark Walker, 2002 - JJ Williams, 2003 - Billie Blackie, 2004 - Lee Edmunds, 2005 - John Even, 2006 - Andre Russell, 2007 - Tony Parker, 2008 - Andre Russell.

We have the 'Backender' Trophy - awarded to the best bag at Bushyleaxe on a one off competition, introduced in 2004 I have the following:
2004 - Graham Pearson, 2005 - Graham Pearson, 2006 - Damien Morris, 2007 - not fished, 2008 - Tony Parker.

Then we have the Thryberg Trophy won two weeks ago by John Dagnall and Ian Gedney - I have no previous information on this one so any input would be helpful.

So if Chas Hamilton or Graham Ward or Graham Pearson are reading this -  can you shed any light lads ??

Thanks

Andre.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:32:53 PM by bracken » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:55 AM »

With reference to the "Thrybergh Trophy". I believe this trophy was made by Graham Pearson and presented to the association with the original intention of being the "Big Fish Trophy" for the Thrybergh competition. To clarify the position for those members who do not know the evolution / history of the awards / trophies, - since the AGM of 2006, we no longer award for the biggest fish at any competition, so the trophy is now presented to the first placed competitor in the Thrybergh competition.

I could stand to be corrected here - however, I think this trophy was won by Chas Hamilton in both 2005 and also 2006 - the trophy was not awarded in 2007 because the Thrybergh competition had to be cancelled. Chas returned the trophy at Thrybergh into Graham's care, prior to moving to France in 2006 - Graham in turn passed it into Damion's capable hands for safekeeping prior to his move abroad last year. Ian has currently got custody of this striking award and will later pass it to John Dagnall in a few months time. (Ian and John were first equal at Thrybergh this year).
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »

Kev managed to dig out the old records from his loft and after the fishing on Saturday Russ and myself went through the various folders and piles of paper held together with elastic bands. Apparently my record keeping when I was secretary wasn't so bad, found most of my original newsletters and press releases in the box - brought back some memories and provoked some discussion with Ifor.

So the good news, the championship records are now complete, the missing years of 1995, 1996 and 1997 can now be filled in to our role of honour.
1995 - Peter McCleod, 1996 - Chas Hamilton, 1997 - Ben McGrath.

I now intend to have the championship trophy fully engraved with all the names from 1993 and this will stay as a permanent record of the members achievements. In addition Bracken has supplied the missing names for the other competitions that we have held. Our plan now is to have a section on this site for the role of honour and all names will be entered.

Thanks for your help.

Andre.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »

The 2009 BFTA Champion is Steve Naylor who now has temporary custody of the newly refurbished Championship cup which is now renamed as the Jim Clements Trophy.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »

In 2010 Kevin Primmer won the Jim Clements Trophy.

John Keeley won the Thrybergh Trophy.

Tony Parker still has Custody of the Bushyleaze Backender Trophy.
stevieN
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »

Mr Keeley will be bringing back the Thrybergh Trophy at the Thrybergh meeting,

Stevie N

Has now been awarded to the 2011 winner Andre Russell.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:05:06 PM by bracken » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »

AWARDS FOR 2011

Steve Frakes won the BFTA championship competition and has been awarded the Jim Clements Trophy.

Dave Carrie and Steve Frakes won the Chairman's Pairs Trophy for the competition fished at Ravensthorpe in 2011. (Steve Frakes was awarded the cup at the AGM).

Andre Russel won the Thrybergh Trophy for 2011. (Awarded at the AGM)

Tony Parker still retains custody of the "Backender Trophy".
Lupostie
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 05:41:24 AM »

Surely Bracken should also win the trophy for the biggest and most colourful fly used !!!!

(You malign me young man. Back is too dodgy to cast big flies and the colour is just my sparkling personality)!? Bracken.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:44:20 PM by bracken » Logged

Andy Ward
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »

2013 Champion - Jim Clements Trophy - Steve Naylor.

Thrybergh Trophy - Dave Carrie

Pairs Trophy - Kevin Primmer & Steve Frakes

Backender Trophy - (Custody of Tony Parker).

The Steve Parton Memorial Trophy - BFTA Team beat Thornton Boat Team. (Cup held at Thornton Lodge).

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:43:35 PM by bracken » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: