British Float Tube Association
September 20, 2019, 06:11:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Next up Eyebrook August 10th & Pairs Competition at Toft. Both to be confirmed.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyebrook Report  (Read 332 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: May 26, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »

A very tough weekends sport on the midlands reservoirs. Gary and I fished the Rolls Royce National on Draycote the previous day, we had a tough day boating 6 fish between us. At the weigh in we were expecting to be well down the order of the 38 other competitors, we finished top boat ! The water had been averaging 7 fish per rod up to this weekend !

On to the Eyebrook with hopes of a slightly better day as here the rod average was just over 11 per rod. Hope faded very quickly, after two hours it was difficult to locate any angler, tube or boat that had even registered a pull and unusually for this venue not even a rising fish was to be spotted.

After a complete tour of the basin on every different line density I'd taken out I headed over to 'mucky bay' for those of you who don't know the reservoir this is half way down the length on the lodge side. It normally takes about half an hour to paddle down there. On arrival I met with a gaggle of tubes of which all but Steve F reported very few pulls and nothing showing. Steve had managed to stumble on a small pod do fish and managed 4 on buzzers in a fairly short period. By 12.30 I still hadn't had a pull, Mick & Terry had managed a couple of fish each Mick was on a damsel. Both of them paddled away leaving myself Steve F and new member Gary H to the area. Just after 1 o clock fish started to rise and I actually had a pull ! The fish connected but was off as soon as I lifted. 5 mins later I was in, an olive cormorant had done the damage. As I was playing the fish my eyes were obviously on the gin clear water and I was astonished to see a good amount of trout swimming around me, some of them quite sizeable. So 1 fish in the bag I was now more optimistic about recording some sort of a score. This optimism turned out to be a little misplaced, fish did continue to rise but apart from 1 other trout and 1 jack pike there was little else to report from me. Steve F managed a couple of pulls and had a couple of fish on but ultimately lost them. Steve and I decided to head for home, Steve did pick up a 5th fish as we paddled away. Gary H hung around and after a brief pit stop re launched into the bay and on to a pod of fish where he managed to extract a further 3 fish on a washing line set up, Diawl Bach was the killing pattern.

So into the car park for the post mortem ! To be frank it was a good job we had ladies present as there was very few positive comments and the 'blankers' didn't appear to be too happy. So those of us who had caught did our very best to console them and reassure them that one day doesn't define them as useless, most of them will have the rest of the season to prove this out.

Seriously, this has been a tough weekends fishing, weather conditions were bright, water was gin clear, on both days I had the pleasure of competing against some very good anglers and watched them struggle, a lot recording totally blank days with not even a pull registered. I think we just have to put it down as one of those weekends ! Both waters are well stocked and well managed, the fish just were not in the mood to play.

Thank you to all who travelled and to Ifor and his staff who always make us very welcome.

Andre.

bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »

Well I'm a bit like DC having stayed at home, and although missing the float around, glad I didn't arrive bleary eyed and hurting after a near 600 mile 13 hour drive finishing in the evening before. It's a shame the fishing was so hard for all of you.

Well DC - it's a bit extreme having staples nailed into your skull! When they took my five tumours out they always double stitched them, thus giving the free facelifts that Ric required for you. I did keep an eye out for a Yeti with bacon and egg stains and billowing chocolate wrappers emerging from the doors, as I drove passed Preston so that we could give you a wave, but you were obviously at home supping the whiskey and strong painkillers. Hope you get well soon! I'm sure that your black and green zonkers would have shown all the blanking lightweights how to catch fish at Eyebrook!?

I've just about forgotten how to fish from a FT now it is so long since I have been out on the water. It was quite a blow to the system spending the last fortnight surrounded by very fishy lakes in Scotland and not being able to try fishing for the delightfully varied coloured brownies which I know that they hold. However, I did watch a couple of Golden Eagles soaring over the glens in the highlands, so that was some compensation. Gary C. will be pleased to hear in his pursuit of nature studies, that the road verges and woodlands up there were absolutely smothered in wild bluebells, and gave a tremendous display, as did the masses of deep yellow gorse bushes. I saw about six hundred red deer in four groups up one glen, which was also a spectacular sight. We also saw Roe and Sika deer as well.
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »

Unfortunately Tony the hole that they excavated was too big for stitche's I would have ended up with my eyes on the side of my head so they used skin graphs instead.
bobc
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »

Sorry you could not make Eyebrook Tony & Dave, pleased you are both on the mend.
   The fishing was disappointing although the company was convivial  .
Highlight for us was our 1st sighting of a Red Kite  over the reservoir, apparently common in the area.   I think I saw an Osprey also.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »

In my experience Ospreys are regular visitors to Eyebrook Bob - there were a pair fishing it a few years back who were taking sizeable trout between the float tubes. Red kites have been spotted above the dam area and adjacent wood most times we have fished there recently, as have buzzards.

I'm a bit blase about red kites, with six regularly flying around my garden or sitting in the trees at the end and squawking at us for food, or in my neighbours garden. They drive my lunatic spaniel crazy - she gets plenty of exercise hurtling up and down the garden trying to catch them or drive them away. Mad animal! She's graduated to driving helicopters away recently!

If your staples get a bit loose Dave just pop around, I have a couple of serious electric staplers for a quick repair if needed; and could probably source a Hilti if required!? Hope all is going well and that infection hasn't set in. All mine went septic, mainly because of the reluctance to give them antibiotics these days, and probably because of the prevalence of bugs in overcrowded hospitals.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: