British Float Tube Association
October 23, 2019, 11:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Next up Eyebrook August 10th & Pairs Competition at Toft. Both to be confirmed.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweethope Report  (Read 254 times)
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: July 08, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »

Perfect conditions on this truly perfect lough. The wind was a light north to north easterly and the day was patchy cloud with some nice warm intervals and the fish were rising particularly at the top end of the lake.

Only six of us ventured 'up norf' for this one as it is a good drive but well worth the effort. Chris met us with pots of freshly brewed coffee and his now famous 'banjos' for breakfast. We did miss Dave C, not for his wit, charm or angling ability but for his unique banjo eating finesse ! Having said that Brian is in a real rut fishing wise at the moment it appears that without Dave his competitive edge has gone. Dave you need to come back we're all worried about Brian they could be a ritual burning of his kit if his mojo doesn't return !

So to the fishing, from the launch we took a slow paddle up the left side bank, this area has proven very prolific in the past and Tony B reported good catches earlier in the week. Today there was nothing really of note, an odd pull here and there but not too much else to report. The action really started when we got in to position at the top end of the lake. As the water level was at the highest I've ever seen it the area around the island was very accessible to us and there was plenty of fish showing through out the session. Steve, Tony and I tended to stick in this area for the day and all three of us caught some top quality fish and lost a good number in the fight as well. Tony was scoring on Shipmans Buzzers, initially black but later in the day claret ones. Steve and I tended to keep swapping and changing flies but basically found anything fished just under the surface was likely to initiate a response. Steve had them on everything from Blobs to Apps Bloodworm and Diawl Bachs. I took fish on Red Ribbed Diawl Bach, Soldier Muddler and my first fish came to a small Black Booby on the point of my 'washing line'

Catching up with Mick and Ric later in the session it was established that they were on similar flies and tactics. Mick however did finish with a flourish and the way back hooking and landing three fish on mini snakes ! This was enough for him to take the honours today with seven fish landed. As for Brian, well we all gave him advice, we gave him flies, we gave him encouragement and when that failed we resorted to taking the p*ss and shaming him ! And to cap it all his car was displaying a warning light and we don't know whether he's still on the bank waiting for the AA to recover him ! Dave, even if you can't fish can you come and give moral support for your buddy it's all gone tits up for the lad !

Another brilliant day on this lovely fishery, our thanks go to Chris and Tony B for organising it for us, already planning and looking forward to a return visit next season.

Andre.
Ric the Red
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:59:34 PM »

Good report comrade chairman reference Brian i don't think we took the p**s much ....come back Mr C. as you said a truly wonderful fishery just wish a few more had come along, the fish were in good condition a put up a good show. Well done Mick on your win .

Ric
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »

Good report Andre and well done being in an almost unassailable position at the top of the tree you know what they say about the person at the top they look down at the minions below but when the minions look up all they see is an arse, Grin Well done to Mick on your win I think you will be a contender next year,  I don't know when I will return to the fold its in the lap of the gods an surgeons at the moment. I will contact Brian and give him a good talking to but I think if the competition isn't there he stops trying, I hope the numbers pick up a bit. good luck everyone and tight lines,
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 10:36:16 PM »

Thanks to all who attended and enjoyed, for Sweethope, sparse offerings. I put it down to the north wind however Mick showed his pedigree demonstrating there were fish to be had deep down feeding on mini snakes. A worthy winner clearly demonstrating the value of local knowledge, matching the hatch and life like close imitations.
Needless to say my unconvincing attempts to fish a 'similar' mini snake on a cortland blue the following day resulted in nil fish.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »

Great day my fly patch was full by the end
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »

Thanks for that Dave, good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour, can't wait for your return and get my revenge in writing !

Andre.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: