British Float Tube Association
December 08, 2019, 08:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Next up Eyebrook August 10th & Pairs Competition at Toft. Both to be confirmed.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AGM REPORT  (Read 122 times)
kevin1
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »

AGM October 2019

Andre Russell - Chairman (Absent)
Kev Primmer - Secretary
Steve Frakes - Vice Chairman
David Carrie - Scorekeeper
Russ Whitmore
Brian Heald
Martin Mayers
Iain Lindsay
John Dagnall
Ric Dunnet
Jim Shalliker
Richard Jamieson

1.   Chairmans report

Firstly I must apologise for my absence today, the second time I’ve missed an AGM since the formation of the BFTA back in the mid nineties. I hope you have all had a good day at Ladybower today, I’m sure Richard has been a most genial host and I’d like to thank Martin for making the arrangements for today both at the fishery and of course this afternoons venue for the AGM.

The 2019 season has proven to be a bit of a ‘mixed bag’ really. On the one hand we have seen the return of Wimbleball to our list of venues and it has come back with a bang ! but we are also facing the prospect of losing fisheries like Toft Newton that are struggling through lack of support.

Weatherwise we have had a year when it’s been so windy that we are not allowed out followed by a heatwave where the water temperature and water condition is so bad it isn’t worth venturing out ! Good fishing days have been at a premium and if you managed to attend one of the meets where everything ‘clicked ‘ then we have indeed had some memorable days out. Personally the days at Thornton, Ladybower, Toft Newton, Sweethope, Wimbleball and Drift really stood out and for me, represent the best that the BFTA can offer the membership, good fishing in good company on good venues that appreciate our support. So let’s look at the season achievements in a little more detail :-

Sadly the Steve Parton Memorial now looks to be a Tubing only event as the boat anglers declined to put a team against us this year, so be it, we had a good day out on the Eyebrook, challenging fishing but enjoyable. Brian Heald was the top rod on the day and as such was presented with the Steve Parton Memorial Trophy. Unfortunately his picture was plastered all over social media and the Fishery Management UK  communication posts – not something you really want to see whilst your tucking in to your full English the next morning ! Well done Brian after a run of very tough results it was good to see a smile and a trophy for your efforts.
Further to last years AGM all of the results in the Championship events were recorded thus giving higher totals on the leader board. Gary started well again this year but unfortunately fell away due to not being able to attend as many events as perhaps he would have liked. Steve Frakes and Ric were always there or there bouts and in the South Kev Primmer is always a serious challenger . Kev finished the season in the top position in the SW and it is with pleasure that I can confirm he is the 2019 Snowbee SW Water Trophy winner.

The Pairs Trophy was fished for at the Eyebrook this year. The weather had a big influence both on the attendance and the degree of difficulty we faced with the fishing.  The winners on the day were Steve Frakes and Andre Russell, if everything is going to plan then I’m hoping Kev Primmer can now present Steve with the Trophy.

The Jim Clements Trophy for the overall BFTA Champion goes to the Chairman. I did manage to fish a good number of the events this season and due to the apparent colour of my testicles I did manage to attract enough of the slightly bigger specimens to tip the scales in my favor. The trophy has been duly engraved and will remain in Leicester for the second year running – some will say that this may be the only trophy seen in this part of the country for a while but only time will tell !

Once again, I’m sorry I cannot be with you today I hope everything goes smoothly at the meeting, I am very proud to be the Chairman of the BFTA and to represent you the officers and members at our meetings and events. Should you wish me to continue in the role then I am happy to re stand for election, if we have someone with a burning ambition to take the helm and am equally happy to stand aside and offer my full support to the association and the membership in any way I can.

I look forward to seeing you all for the 2020 season.

Andre Russell – Chairman.

2.   Financial Report 18th October

86 members (7 honorary, 2 corporate)

Balance sheet £1768.57 current account

Cash £164.80

Proposer Ric Dunnet
2nd Steve Frakes

3.   Officers for 2020

Richard J to help David C with Scribing
John Dagnall to provide letter to clubs to R and D for distribution
Website £300 per annum approx. Plan to change and improve communication
Andre to discuss fixtures with Kev prior to publication
Proposer Martin
2nd John Dagnall

The Back End Trophy was fished for at Ladybower and the winner was John Dagnall
 John was presented with the trophy at the AGM

The membership fee will remain at £10 for 2019. Subscription’s run from January to December  .

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:31:17 PM by bracken » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »

Nice to see some of you are still alive!

An interesting report on a year which I sadly mostly missed. I'm quite jealous!

As a pedantic point of interest/fact Andre is slightly inaccurate with his BFTA being formed in the mid-nineties, it was at least a couple of years earlier than that, because I joined as about the 76th member in 1995. At that time there were a pretty strong gang of float tubers from all over the UK regularly attending, as well as a smattering of European members/guests. There were Scottish attendees, and a good mob based around Alistair Bentall from South Eastern England, as well as the Large Steve Parton based group from the Midlands and North. Most of the meets were fished with between 20 and 30 members present. Andre, Russ, and probably Bob Carnelly, Dave Minogue and John Dagnell are survivors from this early grouping. It was not unusual to see a couple of pontoon boats used as float tubes by the members at this time either. Ahhh the nostalgia!!?

Mind you - I wasn't so keen on the near punch-up at an early AGM when a north/south divide developed, and the Scots appeared to remember Culloden Moor and the battle of Berwick! We lost a hell of a good Secretary after that one, who was never seen on the water again. AGM'S are much quieter affairs these days! This explains, to any who may have wondered, why I was never keen on the North South divide in the BFTA.

From an armchair based Grumpy Old Git!
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »

Good report Andre, I believe Toft Newton is now under new management as seen on our facebook page which Richard has compiled.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »

Thanks Dave, if anyone has more details on Toft can you let me know as we'll need to book dates for next season.

Andre
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »

Sorry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:20:54 AM by davec » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »

It does explain the dearth of posts on here if everybody has moved to facebook. However, it is a pity if this is the case as some of the information collected on here would not be seen so readily on that platform.

Also this old Luddite for one doesn't actually like using facebook - it can be a dangerous place! The only reason I am on it is because I had to reclaim my identity from a usurper who was using it for some very unsavoury purposes.

A further point is that if you search the web for float tubing information you will always be directed to this site.
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 05:25:24 PM »

It was discussed at the AGM in that the site was costing £300 and was hardly used where as the southern group was more likely to post on facebook so Richard from Ladybower was asked to set up a free site on facebook. I put a little message on it to inform the lads I couldn't make Barnsfold on the 28th of December and it had 100 views so it seems the members are using it. if you go on facebook and type British float tube association in the search it goes straight to the new site.

DELETED:- SORRY FOR MIS INFORMATION
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:11:49 PM by davec » Logged
kevin1
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »

Dave,

It was agreed at the AGM that Richard would look into developing and updating the website instead of the present company we use.  We still need the website as over 70% of our members do not use Facebook.  Also you cannot join through Facebook only the website.. 
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »

Quite right Kevin thinking about it I picked it up wrong sorry if I have led anyone up the garden path.I will delete my ramblings.
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »

Understandable at your age Dave?Huh
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 05:16:02 PM »

I'm very pleased to see this clarification of retaining the BFTA Website. While I am probably coming to the end of my FT adventures, it is still good to readily find what is proposed, going on and where. It's a shame that more members don't post here more often these days. I hate Facebook, and pretty well all other like sites, so rarely use or visit them.

There is a lot of info on here that it would be difficult to put on Facebook. If kept up to date the members list is very useful for personal contact - just as one example. Prospective newcomers can also glean a lot of useful information if they care to seek it out and read it. It's surprising where some of the stuff on this site has been plagirised/copied and migrated to, if one searches the web. Will we need to copy it off if Richard makes a new site - or will it easily transfer over?

As a restricted club members site it is a great place for "in the know" banter as well, and makes a nice buffer to filter out the 'idiot factor' which we have occasionally encountered in the past.

The ability to easily post photos would be a good thing on any revised version of the site - it has always been a bit problematic on this one.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »

I have contacted 'Will' at Toft Newton & told him we will continue to support the fishery. Dates to be confirmed in the new year.

Andre.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: