British Float Tube Association
December 02, 2021, 03:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweethope  (Read 710 times)
fishicist
Forum Member

« on: March 16, 2021, 11:15:32 AM »

c-19 and government restrictions allowing I will be looking to organise a social event at Sweethope on Saturday 4th of July 2021.
All will be welcome,
Banjos by request.
Should at their convenience BFTA wish to upgrade this event to an official event happy to progress.
With restrictions from 29/03/2021 allowing local travel for exercise I will be looking to attend Sweethope most weekends and intermittently during the week and will be pleased to welcome other tubers.
Other waters are available in the area for tubing Langley Dam nr Hexham, Fountburn ( by prior arrangement) nr Rothbury, Thrunton (tbc) nr Alnwick , Smiddyshaw nr back of beyond

andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »

Looking forward to returning to the old normal, count me in.

Andre
Ric the Red
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »

Sounds good to me

Ric
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »

For those wishing accommodation or additional detail I can be contacted on 07810180999.
Tony
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »

Should you require any accommodation info or further detail re Sweethope I can be contacted on 07810180999.
ta
Tony
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »

Those of you with a 2021 calendar may have noticed that the Saturday is the 3rd of July this year.
So if you hadnt committed because the Trumps had invited you round for a barbie you can still make both events  Grin
Ric the Red
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 08:53:21 AM »

Hi,

Have had a week up here and have managed a couple of days fishing at Sweethope with a mate, and meeting up with Tony on Saturday 22.5.21.

First day wind blowing down towards the carpark we found a lot of fish along the wooded bank we were catching on the midge tip and Slow intermediate fishing the washing line method booby or FAB on the point then a mixture of Cormorants, GRHE, Dawl Bachs, and Crunchers.

Caught along the wooded bank but the most of the fish came from the top bay.

The fish tended to be close into the bank and quite a few showing on top but could not sus them on a dry regularly.

Second day wind simular direction but a bit stronger but eased as the day went. Tony was the first to  launch and he knows the fish by name one of his mates I think it was Bill soon latched on. Me and Trev joined him after I had thrown a pair of sunnies in the drink(found on leaving the water) and went along the bank. I had a fish first cast and those who know me well as a strange sort know I don't like a fish first chuck.

I caught up with Tony who had a few fish by now  one being a nice Brown and been smashed on the midge tip was taking them on a popper hopper.

We moved up to the top end of the lake and Tony found the fish were rising in the calmer water and was catching on the dry fly, we joined up and started picking up a few fish in the area.

Tony left about 1ish duty called, and Trev and I carried on the switch must have been flipped as only an odd 1 or 2 carried on topping, switched to a blob with a couple of Dawl Bachs on the floater and had a few more.

The area seams to be about 2 to 3 weeks behind what we have in the midlands so should look good for us in July.

Thought I would share my findings, plus it was good to see the the Big Fella and share a days fishing.

Sorry not as good as Tony's missives but there was some ducks and big white ducks, and ducks with long legs, I am good at this twitching.

Hope to see you all on the water soon.

Stay safe everybody.

Ric.
fishicist
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 08:19:14 PM »

Excellent missive (whatever that is if it doesn't involve marriage) Rik written like the bard himself.

You may have missed the call of the cuckoo with the purr of your motor or the dives of the osprey with the ladies regular updates from the hot tub.

A pleasure meeting up with you and Trevor just a pity I was down south when you arrived,

Summer has now arrived in the north east and this weekends tubing was the first without the use of thermals and fear of hypothermia.

With the cold cold spring every possibility the mayfly hatch (when it starts) will last into July

For those seeking accommodation, I'm led to believe the nearest pub to Sweethope the Gun in Risdale spent lockdown time refurbishing bedrooms into the 21st century and now serves the first and last breweries finest ales.
Contact pub direct mention Sweethope if interested.
Ric the Red
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »

Cheers for that Tony, can highly recommend The Gun, the Sunday Lunch we had was very good, the beer was as good, with real ales for the weird amongst us. Apparently the pub is a cooperative amongst the locals, nice and clean and well run.

Ric
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:47:13 AM »

Accommodation booked, off to the 20-20 cricket Durham vs Leicestershire on the Friday, fishing with you guys Saturday, perfect weekend.

Andre.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: