British Float Tube Association
December 12, 2018, 01:13:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drift - 7th June 2014  (Read 3024 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: February 27, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

Steve Naylor
Andre Russell
Jez Dye
Gary Cragg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:24:14 AM by stevieN » Logged
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »

I'm in.

Andre.
phil p
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »

sorry not me

phil

Even a trout would not of got into trouble if he! had kept his mouth shut!!!
martin
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Cannot make this one.
kevin1
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »

Can't  make this one.
drifter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »

If anyone decides to attend Drift can you please let me know for the catering. Also if anyone would like a days fishing on the way back Burrator near Plymouth is available. Kennick is being used for the Commonwealth Competition.

David
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »

Sorry Dave. I will not be there this year, and will sorely miss the pasties afterwards.

It looks as if you might have to put a three line whip on some of those Cornish lads to get a quorum this time.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »

Hi Dave, as you know I will be there with Jez, Gary C and Steve N. I also have the trophy given to me by Kev B on Saturday at Blagdon.

Andre
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »

Further to two telephone calls from Dave W I have been advised that Drift is un-fishable due to a severe algae bloom that has arrived in the last week or so.

This competition will still go ahead as a BFTA Championship Match however the Cornish Open Trophy will NOT be fished and there will NOT be the usual sponsorship and prizes.

The match will now be fished on STITHIANS RESERVOIR, a SW Water Reservoir.

Dave will get the low down on the fishing and the best places to launch/fish, this reservoir is probably three times the size of Drift.

Meet at the lodge for 8.30am, fishing times as per normal 10.00am latest start to 4.00pm weigh in.

Andre.
stevieN
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »

Looking at the website, the cost is £18.00 for a five fish ticket, with a £5.00 launch fee. It says a "self service " ticket system, so you will need to have £23.00 in change to post in the envelope.

Steve N
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:19:00 PM by stevieN » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »

Having fished Stithians in the past, when I was less of a cripple, you will need to keep a weather eye out for speedboats and water skiers. Apart from anything else the waves they generate can be quite bouncy.

There is an arm at the lower end of the lake away from the lodge heading towards the East, which is shallower and has fished well for me in the past -  (from the bank or when wading). Apart from the residual boat wash, this is relatively sheltered and boat free. There used to be a car park for this arm somewhere off the road leading to Falmouth.

If fishing the deeper western end of this 'lower' shore, I seem to remember quite a lot of underwater snags, fencing walls etc. Probably depends on the water depth as to whether they could pose a problem.

Good luck!
stevieN
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »

Sorry Tony, but you are out of date !!
Water Skiing is no longer allowed on Stithians Lake....the only powered vessels are the emergency boats for sailers and windsurfers and fishing boats.

Steve N
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »

Good news about the water skiers Stevie. Yes it is a year or two ago since I fished it. It did fish very well in those days, cinnamon and gold and elk hair caddis  in size 14 did the job. Hares ears, pheasant tails and Peter Ross also worked well. It will be interesting to see how the modern day fish take to gert great cat's whiskers, flashy black boobies and barnoldswick nymphs - which I suspect they will be subjected to on this competition day!

All you need now then is a long pole to fend off the windsurfers!? Remember your Hi Vis hats chaps.
andre
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »

Drift could be back on ! Dave W fished last night, water clearing and fish showing albeit brownies. Weather today, windy so prospects looking good.

Andre.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: