British Float Tube Association
September 27, 2020, 03:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walton Hall Report March 1st  (Read 3289 times)
stevieN
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: March 03, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »

Walton Hall Report

The Venue
A 20 acre country estate lake with the original Walton Hall set on an Island with pedestrian bridge access, currently used as a wedding venue and health club.

Wildlife
A variety of birds were seen, Heron, Kingfisher, coots, grebes, pintails...plus the added bonus of some very nice specimens to be seen in the glass fronted swimming pool !!

The Anglers
The usual Northern contingent, plus newbie Andy and a welcome back to Steve Tomlinson

The Fishing
Best described as Challenging, Anglers quickly dispersed around the lake. First blood went to Kevin Butterfield who had a 3lbs Pike on a damsel...unlucky Kev, but he followed it up with a trout (unfortunately his only trout), Steve Frakes took a trout on a black Cruncher, Martin had a fish near the boat jetty, and Phil P. had a fish near the swimming pool. Talking of which...Ric Dunnet spent a lot of time in the swimming pool area.. apparently birdwatching !  it did pay off as Ric went on to catch 2 fish and win his second comp this year... Anyway.. back to Mr Butterfield.. Kev hooked a fish on a black fritz and played it for 10 mins without seeing the fish.. he began to panic thinking if this is a trout... his net would not be big enough... he hailed his buddy Steve Naylor, who went over and attached himself to Kevins Tube and waited with large net....45 mins later the fun began as Kevin's 5 weight rod and 6lbs leader held out....A rather large pike surfaced...oh dear, thought Steve.. my nets not big enough.. in went the pike.. and out went the pike...this happened 3 times before Steve managed to get the fish in sufficient enough to reach the shore....The fish was photographed by Jonny the bailiff and weighed using 40lbs Avon Scales...the fish was 24lbs... well done Kevin.....By this time anglers were getting out, except for the few die-hards who stayed to the bitter end. Steve Naylor fished on, took his second fish with 15 mins to go, lost 2 more and with 3 mins left hooked what he thought was a match winner... it turned out to be a 3lbs Pike.. unlucky Steve. Ric went on to win with Steve N second again, a mirror image of the Toft result.

Thanks
Thanks go to all who turned up and to the fishery and Jonny for hosting us

Steve N

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:09:06 PM by bracken » Logged
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »

Sounds like a pike fishing competition to me! The ornithological angle sounds quite interesting though – now we know why the Chemical Twins were so interested in going there. Did Ric get his binoculars out or does he only use those for aeroplanes?

So here are a few nature notes from the mid-south. The Blackthorn has blossomed white here for the last 10 days or so, despite the rain and gales. I have also seen some ornamental almond trees in full blossom. This morning I saw magpies flying with large sticks in their beaks obviously building nests. The rooks have been around their nests and apparently sitting on eggs for quite a long time now. We were kept awake for most of the night by a vixen screaming in the garden – my maniac puppy took serious offence at this cacophony, and compounded the row with much noise of her own! Every home should have one!? Lots of blue, great and long tailed tits have been on the feeders in the garden as have a few goldfinches and a pair spotted woodpeckers. Rabbits have taken to feeding on the roadside verges when the sun appears. Spring is apparently on its way, but there is still time for a major shock of snow and ice.

Apologies for missing the competition today in the far flung North. However, my family had bought me an F1 driving experience day for a birthday present, so together with my two sons I went along to play. Firstly, GP car seats are ever so small and tight; secondly somebody forgot to put a clutch pedal in the cars on the basis that your left foot is needed for the brake! It is too! Gear shifts are made by means of flappy paddle jobbies under the steering wheel.  The instructor was at great pains to show us how to select reverse by continuously changing down the LH paddle. We did need it a couple of times when backing away from the walls!

It was very exciting, and somewhat nauseating watching the scenery scream past – I did see the digital display read 174mph out of the corner of my eye on hanger straight once, but on the sixth lap got it badly wrong and made an excursion into the field at the village bend  – very bumpy it was too – I  must remember to change from sixth to third next time, and apply more brakes much earlier while still going straight. I should know better at my age.  Ignominious and not good for bad backs!  (Shades of the past! After considerable coercion as a young teacher, I once made the mistake of driving a 250cc racing go-kart - belonging to a 16 year old young champion I then taught  – across an admittedly very dry and smooth grass field at about 70mph - it was TERRIFYING)! Back to the F1 experience; my youngest son got the hang of it all quite quickly and beat all of us. Although I did get one fastest lap, and kept it the road more than both of them. We all lived to tell the tale unhurt.  Isn’t technology wonderful? It was all a little more frenetic than driving a float tube. Will tell you more about it next time we meet if you are curious.

It appears the flybox gremlin has struck again if Brian lost his. My little blue drying box has not apparently surfaced either. What is the world coming to?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:26:03 AM by bracken » Logged
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

Well done Ric and Steve and thanks for the kind words I am on the mend now. I see Brian came third but it doesn't count in the Preston league because I wasn't there. Grin. Well done to Kevin keeping that big pike on. Did he check if it had any trout in its stomach, if it had could it be weighed in ?
Good asides Tony :-did they need a shoe horn to get you out of the car?
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »

No shoe horn Dave, but there were an awful lot of bits you were warned not to touch to push yourself up and out, but surprisingly not the rather gorgeous female instructor - who was very kind to an elderly gentleman who was feeling somewhat nauseous by this time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:48:05 PM by bracken » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: