British Float Tube Association
December 02, 2021, 04:31:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peacock herl quills.  (Read 3198 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: May 13, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »

Hi to all you very knowledgeable people.

Having seen some beautiful b&w striped buzzers tied by Ric and also Tony B. I tried to get hold of some material to produce the quills. I know that these are sourced from the pretty 'Eye' section of a peacock tail - i.e. the bit not normally used for diawl bach's etc. I have bought some of these feathers from a number of sources and when stripped they are all uniformly grey rather than having the marked stripe I require. The best I got was a two tone grey very thin spine.

My question is where can the best feather eyes be obtained? I bought some pre-stripped Veniard ones and they were very poor too. Is there a secret that I am missing, or have I just been unlucky with my sources.

Chemical stripping with bleach also makes the spines very brittle I discovered. I cannot be bothered with hair conditioner treatment etc - so stripping with a thumbnail or rubber will be employed by me. Ric kindly told me that he uses Veniard pre-stripped quills, but from my experience it would appear essential to be able to pick through these before purchase. Where do you get yours from Tony B.? Anybody else know the secrets?
buzzerman
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »

I use the new hairline synthetic quills, you can get these from Funky Fly tying. No messing with stripping heel not brittle good colour and you get about 6 buzzers per strip what more could you want.
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »

Thanks for this tip Steve. This is something I did not know about and will explore further.

However, for my own curiosity or satisfaction, I would still love to know where / how the original striped herl spines were sourced. These have been used since Halford's day I believe, so there must be someone out there who knows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: