British Float Tube Association
September 20, 2020, 12:02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First meeting has been confirmed, sign up now for Toft Newton.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thrybergh Report - 6th September 2014  (Read 2198 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: September 07, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »

The Venue: Thrybergh Reservoir near Rotherham Yorks. This is an ex-water supply reservoir built in the 1880’s and turned into a country park amenity for public use. There is a campsite, and a circular walk around the reservoir, together with an on-site café. The water is home to a fishing club and also open to day ticket fishing. A considerable number of bird watchers frequent this facility, but contribute nothing other than car parking charges to the Council for the privilege.

Nature notes: There are a considerable number of well -fed cormorants resident on this water, (largely due to the protestations of the bird watching community). On Friday afternoon I watched eleven of these black menaces drying their wings on the nest platforms, and occasionally dropping into the water and taking sizeable trout which they had difficulty in swallowing. The cost of their predation on the trout stock must be considerable! Huge numbers of coots are to be found on this water,  but mainly around the café area – where together with swans, geese, carrion crows and numerous non-descript ducks they are over-fed by the public on dry bread etc. When allied to a flock of around 100 feral pigeons also to be found here now, the mess from droppings is considerable. Some pest control should be undertaken here so that the really interesting wildlife could thrive.

On a more positive note, there are some lovely great crested grebes and quite a few little grebes present on this lake. Tufted duck were also seen, and I believe a pair of goldeneye were present. There are considerable numbers of rabbits and some fairly dozy squirrels behind the lodge/toilet block and around the campsite.

The weather:
Overcast and rainy for most of the match with a very gentle breeze to slightly ripple the surface of the water. There were a few breaks in the rain but overall the conditions were generally fairly wet. The surface of the water felt warm to touch later in the match, but was very cold when you first entered it if you were not wearing thermals.

The fishermen: Fourteen good men from all over England, and even included a couple who had found their way out of Consett. It was really good to see Jim C. turn out in a float tube again – by now he must qualify as the longest serving member of the BFTA who still goes out in a float tube. Andre must run him a close second, but we won’t talk about him! The Preston pair had a somewhat delayed journey due to the closure of Snake Pass I understand. They arrived very late for breakfast after the rest of us had launched and got started. (I reckon they got peckish and spotted a KFC and Little Chef and stopped for a couple of Olympic breakfast snacks before arrival)!

The Fishing: It was a funny old day really, particularly in view of what John E. and I had experienced on Friday afternoon. Friday was warm and sunny shirtsleeve fishing weather with fish showing pretty well all over the water, mainly in the calm areas between the slight ripples. John managed to catch eight and lost several more, but these specifically took a small magenta/claret dry fly. I tried a considerable number of different small dry flies, suspender buzzers, buzzers and diawl bach’s without enticing anything. A claret hopper did elicit a lovely rise and take, which I managed to pull clean through the jaws of the trout without the hook connecting. Typical! I eventually reverted to a sunk damsel, and dropped a cast right on the nose of a distant rising fish about 2.1/2lbs and annoyed it into taking – so caught my one and only trout of the session. I left the water suspecting that Saturday was going to prove a hard day. In the end analysis Saturday showed that the fish would take almost anything other than a small magenta dry fly! John ended the match day with two fish after fishing very hard.

Local knowledge was always that buzzers, crunchers and diawl bach’s or a damsel nymph would work. Steve, Rik and Dave M. had caught lots of fish on these over the previous couple of weeks, and were confident they would work again on this day. They were proved right, but after fishing these on Friday I must admit to being sceptical. I eventually caught fish on a DI3 intermediate line with apps bloodworm (4), a black and orange tadpole (1), a small green and orange fritz nomad (2), and a green buzzer (1). I had spent quite a long time fruitlessly fishing buzzers, crunchers, hoppers and various other small offerings on a floating line before ‘going down in the water’.

Dave Carrie had also been catching fish on an Apps bloodworm – but his was pink! Rik was regularly pulling fish out on a cruncher and a small green buzzer. Steve F. was doing likewise but also had a couple on a small damsel nymph. Andre had one on a muddler deer headed affair, with most of the rest of his dozen on a pink booby fished just on or slightly under the surface.

Tony B. was disturbing the peace round the nest platforms by regularly catching some of his final total of 12 trout. I think he was using secret flies as he is not very communicative when asked for info. Whatever they were they would be beautifully tied. Dick B. was having a torrid time when I met him, as he was untangling lines and breaking flies. I couldn’t quite translate what he was saying, but it did sound very fierce, so I left him to steam in isolation.

The Preston pair managed to mirror their performance at Eyebrook by catching exactly the same weigh-in weight as each other. However, I think Dave C. has the moral victory here, as he caught three fish to Brians two; although I’m sure Brian will tell me that it is quality rather than quantity which counts when we next meet. Martin did a round tour of virtually the whole lake and I believe managed to catch some coarse fish too, which may be a unique achievement on this day as I didn’t hear of any others being caught. Jim didn’t bag up on this occasion, (you’re losing your touch lad you better improve next week or we will be in trouble)! Phil seemed to park his battleship somewhere near the cages and sniggled eight out, but I’m not sure what on. John and Gary spent quite a long time relatively fruitlessly lurking down by the dam and along the shoreline. Dave M. had a good day on his home water finishing with eight, all of which I’m fairly sure will have been caught on small traditional flies.

After I had caught my fifth fish and put it in the bass to complete my four, I decided to ‘play about’ with some seriously obscure tactics to see what would happen. A DI7 line armed with a big red gold head zonker, was dragged through the depths. I was amazed to get a good pull deep down before I shortly gave up this game as casting a heavy weighted fly on a 5WT rod  was both taxing and tedious. I then put a pink booby on, but the fish were apparently not interested when it was deep down, (this was before I knew and saw Andre using one on the surface).  To satisfy my curiosity, instead of reverting to the DI3 which I was certain I could have caught a lot more fish on,  I put a sink tip line on with a fast sink 10ft tip on it, armed it with an apps bloodworm on the point, a green buzzer on the middle dropper  and a cruncher at the top. I did eventually catch two fish on the apps and one on the green buzzer, but feel it was a lot less effective than on the intermediate line, and was probably putting the flies below where the fish were mainly holding depth.

I was very impressed with Rik and Steve, watching them cast and catch fish with some of the small flies they tie, is very educational - and catching effectively more than a quarter of the total bag between them is quite an achievement!

The fish caught in the match were generally at the smaller end of the scale with a few better ones amongst them. However,  I must say that they fought very hard when hooked and were very keen to maintain their freedom. I netted one twice, after it jumped out of the net on the stripping apron and went off like a mako shark again. It was eventually retrieved and released safely.

You must congratulate me on my integrity here, the three fish John and I took on Friday were in the motorhome fridge, and actually weighed a lot more than the four I weighed in after the match. It’s a good job I’m not a pot hunter like Andre isn’t it?

Acnowledgements: Many thanks to Dave Minogue for his sterling efforts in organising this day for us – I know the task was not an easy one.

We would also like to thank Katie and the staff in the Café for their cheerful  approach and toleration of a bunch of mainly barmy fishermen,  and for the welcome breakfast and evening meal they served to us.
davec
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »

great report Tony, and thanks to Dave for organizing the comp. but mainly my thank goes to Katie and the staff for cooking up a scrumptious breakfast when we eventually arrived. three and a half hours to get there and only one and a half to get home. I hang my head in shame for not being able to have a pudding and hand the golden spoon to Tony B. and the wonderful trophy to Steve (He He).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: