British Float Tube Association
April 25, 2017, 05:46:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The next competition will be at Colwick Park on April 29th 2017. The Snowbee sponsored Cornish Open will take place at Drift Reservoir on May 6th.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Floatubes for UK fishermen.  (Read 1940 times)
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

We are often asked for information on float tubes and where to get them. Currently we would normally recommend those offered by Snowbee in the cheaper range or those from Guideline or Fat Cat for the more sturdy, and thus more expensive buys.

The following link will take you to these, and further types currently available in the UK - http://www.floattube.co.uk/
Lupostie
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »

Excellent site with lots of things float tubes and from different manufactures

Andy Ward
rider12351
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:56 PM »

you looked at this Tony its got the board already fitted?
Canadian Creek Military Floattube
bracken
Administrator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »

Yes have seen it Ivan, and also a couple of similar designs. I guess most of them are coming out of the same Chinese factory as the Snowbee Prestige. The arm pockets on nearly all of them have the same design flaw of being too low at the front.

The Bow mounted motor Transom is very neat - I've actually looked for the rubber 'rings' to glue on mine, but they are not readily available in the UK as far as I can determine. I have to say that personally I think I would find a bow mounted motor quite difficult to drive, as I have limited ability to flex my back enough to get hold of the tiller or to see the switch settings. I suspect even younger fitter chaps also have this problem too, as some of the U Tube videos show US float tubers sitting across the seats with their feet over the sponson sides. I believe this to be an inherently dangerous and somewhat stupid method of riding in a float tube - particularly when there is no crossbar or crotch strap fitted. Some of the weather we have experienced would have you out of the front and into the water in no time - and these are precisely the conditions where a motor would be an advantage. Lifting or tilting the motor for launch or landing would also be awkward with this layout. However, for my own curiosity I am also working on a bow mount to see what the difference will be. I have an open mind but some reservations.

The rod holder has to be a mixed blessing for a fly rod, as I don't think there is enough of the rod butt section protruding on most fly rods for it to fit and be secure. Another example of poor research and design on what could be a very good product. These rod holders are available in the UK. I guess if you are a pike fisherman from a float tube they would suffice - but I can tell you from experience that landing double figure pike in a float tube is a fraught process, (I've had to do it a few times).
rider12351
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2fn_iHeRrI&t=175s
rider12351
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDp9uRZsUWg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: